The fuel journey
From exploration to your station.
So much more goes into getting gasoline and diesel to your vehicle than you may realize. Join us as we take you on a journey from oil exploration to pumping gas or diesel at your local Exxon- or Mobil-branded station.
How we get fuel to your vehicle
1. Exploration and development
- The journey begins with the exploration for crude oil in North America as well as far away places like the North Sea
- Next, we use rigs to drill for oil
- The oil is then delivered via pipelines, and railways to refineries for processing
2. Refining oil into fuel and other products
Refining is the process by which crude oil is turned into everyday products.
- Crude oil is refined into gasoline, diesel, propane and other petroleum products such as feedstocks, which are used to make plastics found in vehicles, plasma TVs and more
- Ethanol is blended into the gasoline. This is done to boost the octane level to meet the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements for oxygenated (smog reducing) fuels. Gasoline with 10% ethanol is approved for use by all automotive vehicle manufacturers in the U.S.
- ExxonMobil conducts tests to verify that the fuel meets or exceeds engine builder and industry specifications
3. Formulating high quality Exxon- and Mobil-branded fuel
From the refinery, gasoline and diesel fuels are transported via pipelines, ships and railways to terminals. It is at the terminals that ExxonMobil adds detergents and additives to formulate our own unique, high quality blends.
- Detergents are added to gasoline to help clean fuel injectors, intake valves and other engine parts*
- Exxon- and Mobil-branded gasoline contains significantly more detergents than the minimum quantity required by the EPA and has passed other performance tests, resulting in it being certified TOP TIER®
- Our gasolines are available in three grades
4. Getting the fuel to your tank
Once the fuels are mixed to ExxonMobil’s exacting standards, they are loaded into trucks for delivery to individual stations all across the country.
- The trucks have different compartments to keep the three gasoline grades and diesel fuel separate
- At the gas station, delivery drivers and retailers check the gasoline and diesel fuels once more to ensure that our high standards are maintained
- The fuels are pumped from the separate truck compartments through segregated pipes into designated holding tanks
- When you select a gas grade at the pump, the gas is drawn from the corresponding tank
Quality fuels to get you where you're going
Discover what steps we take to ensure the quality of our fuels.
The right fuel for your vehicle
Get the most out of your engine, and your journey, with Exxon and Mobil SynergyTM gasoline and diesel.
Introducing Exxon and Mobil SynergyTM Gasoline
Learn more about our new SynergyTM gasoline, engineered with 7 key ingredients to help you get better gas mileage.**
TOP TIER SynergyTM gasoline
Get the facts about Exxon and Mobil SynergyTM branded gasoline, including what makes it TOP TIER® and what grades we offer.
*Applies to Exxon- and Mobil-branded gasoline compared to gasoline meeting minimum U.S. government standards. Actual benefits vary depending on factors such as vehicle type, driving style and gasoline previously used.