EXXON MOBIL REWARDS+ ONLINE PRIVACY STATEMENT
Effective as of July 9, 2018
Exxon Mobil Rewards+ (“EM Rewards+”, “EM Rewards”, “we” or “us”), a rewards program operated by ExxonMobil Oil Corporation, is committed to respecting your privacy. We want you to know how we may collect, use, share, keep, and safeguard information about you and the choices that are available to you as it relates to that information. Note that certain terms used in this online privacy statement are defined below in Section 5.
This online privacy statement applies to EM Rewards, its website and any interaction between you and EM Rewards through apps (such as the SpeedPass+ app) as well as your use or access of any EM Rewards online services or any content that links to this statement. It does not apply to those websites that have separate terms and conditions or online privacy statements, such as those of our Sponsors or other apps, websites or services offered by us or other members of the ExxonMobil Corporate Family.
EM Rewards is not intended for children under 13 years of age. We do not knowingly solicit data online from, or market online to, children under 13 years of age.
We may change this online privacy statement from time to time, so we recommend that you check the current version available on a regular basis. If we make changes to this statement, we will update the “Effective Date” at the top of this page so that you know changes have been made.
This online privacy statement describes how we and other entities that are connected to EM Rewards, such as our Sponsors and Service Providers, may collect, use, share, keep, and safeguard information that we get about you online. It also describes how we may combine types of information (such as Online Information and Other Information) and how we then use the combined information. We gather Online Information if you:
- Visit or use our websites or web services;
- Receive or reply to electronic communications from us;
- View or click on our ads or other online content; and
- Interact with us through social media websites and other websites and apps.
1. Collecting Information
We will collect registration information (for example: first, last name, address, phone number and email address) when you register for EM rewards. We may also ask for other demographic or personal information to personalize the program for you (e.g., your birthday)
The types of information we collect depends on which product or service you use.
Sometimes you give information directly to us, our Sponsors, or our Service Providers, for example, when you register. We may also collect information in other interactions between us, such as when you:
- fill out an online form or survey;
- log into or update the settings or preferences on your account online;
- register or enroll in our services;
- enter a contest, sweepstakes or register for a marketing offer;
- buy something at Participating Locations; or
- contact our call center.
We (and our Service Providers or Third-Party Ad-Servers) also collect information through Cookies. Most Cookies will only collect De-Identified Information such as how you arrive at our website or your general location, but, certain Cookies may collect Personal Information. For example, clicking “Remember Me” at log-in would result in a cookie storing your username. You can decide if and how your computer will accept Cookies by configuring preferences or options in your web browser. However, if you choose to reject cookies, you may not be able to use certain online products, services or features of the website. We may place Cookies when you visit our website or another company’s website where our ads appear or when you make purchases, request or personalize information, or register for certain services. If you accept the cookies used on our website or websites where our ads appear, you may give us access to information about your interests.
We (and our Service Providers or Third-Party Ad-Servers) may collect information using Cookies about:
- the device you use to browse our websites or use our apps (for example, we may collect information about the operating system or the browser version and the type of device you use to open electronic communications from us);
- the IP Address and information related to that IP Address (such as domain information, your internet provider and general geographic location);
- browsing history on our websites or apps (such as what you search for, the pages you view, how long you stay, and how often you come back);
- how you search for our websites or apps, from which website or app you came from, and which of our Sponsors’ websites you visit;
- which ads or online content from us and our Sponsors you view, access, or click on;
- whether you open our electronic communications and which parts you click on; and
- the location of your mobile device or EM Rewards transactions.
2. Using Information
We may use Online Information we collect about you on its own or combine it with Other Information to:
- deliver products and services, including to:
- recognize you when you return to our websites;
- complete transactions;
- tell you about updates to your accounts, products and services;
- update you about new features, offers and benefits;
- answer questions and respond to your requests made through our websites, call center, or apps and through third-party websites (including social media);
- use the location of your mobile device or EM Rewards transactions;
- determine how to best provide services to you and manage your accounts,
- improve our websites or apps and make them easier to use;
- advertise and market our products and services – and those of our Sponsors – including to:
- present content that is tailored to your interests, including Targeted Advertising;
- send or provide you with ads, promotions, and offers from us or our Sponsors;
- analyze whether the ads, promotions, and offers are effective;
- help us determine whether you may be interested in new products or services from us or our Sponsors;
- conduct research and analysis, including to better understand our customers and our website or app users;
- allow you to give feedback by rating and reviewing our products and services and those of our Sponsors;
- produce data analytics, statistical research, and reports; and
- review and change our products and services;
- manage fraud and security risk, including to detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity;
- safeguard the security of your information; and use it in other ways as required or permitted by law or with your consent.
3. Sharing Information
Some Online Information is Personal Information.
We do not share Personal Information with anyone except as described below. We may share Personal Information as required or as permitted by law, such as:
- with our Sponsors (if you do not want us to share your Personal Information, after you have enrolled please visit my profile page at www.exxonmobilrewardsplus.com);
- with regulatory authorities, courts, and governmental agencies to comply with legal orders, legal or regulatory requirements, and government requests;
- with our Service Providers, regulatory authorities, and governmental agencies to detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity, and to protect the rights of EM Rewards or others;
- with affiliates of Exxon Mobil Corporation;
- with our Service Providers who perform services for us and help us operate EM Rewards and our business (we require Service Providers to safeguard Personal Information and only use your Personal Information for the purposes we specify);
- in the context of a sale of all or part of the ExxonMobil Corporate Family or their assets; or
- for specific uses, products or services, when you have given your consent.
We may transfer Personal Information to Service Providers or companies within the ExxonMobil Corporate Family throughout the world, for example, to process transactions and provide you with our products or services. Other countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information. However, regardless of where we process your information, we still protect it in the manner described in this online privacy statement.
Our Sponsors will be prohibited from sharing information with other third parties / companies outside of Rewards+ or those unaffiliated with Exxon Mobil Corporation.
Aggregated Information or De-identified Information does not identify you individually; it helps us to analyze patterns among groups of people. We may share Aggregated Information or De-identified Information in several ways, for example:
- for the same reasons as we might share Personal Information;
- with Sponsors to help develop and market products or services and present targeted content, including Targeted Advertising;
- with Sponsors to conduct analysis and research about customers, website and app users; or
- with Third-Party Ad-Servers to place ads (including ads of our Sponsors) on various websites and apps, and to analyze the effectiveness of those ads.
4. Keeping and Safeguarding Information
We have adopted security procedures to help protect against loss, misuse, and unauthorized access to the information you provide to us. Please note that no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your information and privacy, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit. We take reasonable steps to securely destroy or permanently de-identify Personal Information when we no longer need it.
We will keep your Online Information only as long as required to deliver our products and services, unless we are required by law or regulation or for litigation or regulatory reasons to keep it.
You will always have a right to access, update, and change or correct your Personal Information.
You also have choices about how EM Rewards uses your information, such as whether we market to you.
You can choose whether you would like to receive marketing communications, including direct marketing. If you choose to not receive marketing communications from us, we will honor your choice. Please be aware that if you choose not to receive such communications, certain offers attached to the products or services you have chosen may be affected. We will still communicate with you regarding servicing your account, fulfilling your requests, or administering any promotion or any program in which you have elected to participate.
Please note that the choices you make with EM Rewards apply to EM Rewards and do not affect choices that you may have made directly with our Sponsors or in connection with other websites or apps offered by the ExxonMobil Corporate Family (such as SpeedPass+).
If you have any questions about our online privacy statement, please call us at 1-888-Reward+.
5. Defined Terms
Aggregated Information - data or information relating to multiple people which has been combined. Aggregated Information includes information that we create or compile from various sources, such as from transactions or certain data from Cookies.
ExxonMobil Corporate Family - any affiliate and subsidiary of, and any company owned or controlled by, Exxon Mobil Corporation.
Cookies - a cookie is a small data file that a website stores on your computer's hard drive. Similar technologies such as web beacons, pixels, gifs, and tags also do the same thing. We use the term Cookies in this online privacy statement to refer to all technologies that collect information in this way.
De-identified Information - data or information used in a way that does not identify you to a third party. We can derive De-Identified Information from Personal Information. It includes information that we may collect from various sources, such as transactions or data from Cookies.
IP Address - a number assigned to a device when connecting to the Internet.
Online Information - data or information collected on the EM Rewards’ websites as well as on websites and apps of third parties relating to topics about our business which may include Personal Information, Aggregated Information and De-Identified Information.
Other Information - EM Rewards internal information (for example, transaction data), and other online and offline information we collect from or about you.
Participating Locations - participating Exxon and Mobil branded service stations operated by ExxonMobil branded wholesalers and locations of other Sponsors who may become a part of Exxon Mobil Rewards+.
Personal Information - Information that can identify a person, such as name, address, telephone number, and email address.
Service Providers - any vendor, third party and/or company that performs business operations on our behalf in connection with EM Rewards+, such as information technology support, printing, mailing, and other communications services, marketing, data processing, servicing, collections, or ad management.
Sponsors - ExxonMobil branded wholesalers and certain retail companies who may become a part of Exxon Mobil Rewards+ with whom we conduct business and have a contractual relationship. References to sponsors in this online privacy statement indicate various business relationships or associations and not legal relationships; sponsors are not actual legal partners of ExxonMobil or Exxon Mobil Rewards+.
Targeted Advertising - ads we or our Sponsors display on websites outside the ExxonMobil Corporate Family based on the preferences or interests inferred from data collected from a particular computer or device regarding web viewing behaviors over time and across different websites.
Third-Party Ad-Servers - companies that provide the technology to place ads on websites (and apps) and track how ads perform. These companies may also place and access cookies on your device. The information they collect from our websites is in a form that does not identify you personally.