Conscientious practices. Rigorous standards.
Continually improving environmental performance while pursuing reliable and affordable energy
Ten years ago, we introduced Protect Tomorrow. Today. – a set of expectations that serves as the foundation for our environmental performance. Guided by a scientific understanding of the environmental impacts and related risks of our operations, these rigorous standards and good practices have become an integral part of our day-to-day operations in every country in which we do business including those with minimal regulations in place.
As well, we consider the long-term social and economic needs of the communities in which we work and continually engage stakeholders in the process.
The following are the three major areas in which we’ve concentrated our efforts to reduce environmental impacts.
Improve the efficiency of our operations
ExxonMobil invested more than $1.5 billion over the last six years to improve efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from our operating facilities, such as refineries and chemical plants. In the past ten years we have reduced greenhouse gas emissions in our operations by more than 7 million metric tons, which is the equivalent of taking about 1.4 million cars off the road.
Improve efficiency in consumer use of fuels
We’re continually innovating to develop products that enable customers to reduce their energy use and CO2 emissions. For example, we have:
- Developed specially formulated synthetic lubricants for cars, trucks and industrial equipment that last longer and help end-users reduce their energy consumption
- Created tire liners that retain air better than their predecessors, thereby improving vehicle fuel efficiency
- Developed a technology to improve the separator films used in lithium-ion batteries, which are used in laptops, cell phones and, increasingly, hybrid vehicles
Develop breakthrough technologies
ExxonMobil is conducting scientific research to discover innovative approaches to developing existing and next-generation energy sources, while at the same time developing products that can enable more efficient energy consumption. Here are a couple of examples:
- Extended reach technology reduces our environmental footprint and, in offshore applications, limits our presence in the marine environment, reducing underwater noise and other activities. In onshore applications where a well is drilled from a land-based location to reach oil and gas deep under the ocean, interaction with marine life and the marine environment can be entirely eliminated
- ExxonMobil’s proprietary Fast Drill technology is often used together with extended reach technology and further minimizes our environmental impact. The Fast Drill Process ensures wells are drilled as efficiently and quickly as possible. ExxonMobil’s drill rate has improved more than 80% since this process was introduced, resulting in an annual energy savings equivalent to removing 1,200 cars from the road. The reduction in fuel consumed also means a proportionate decrease in emissions
Energy to take you further
Learn more about ExxonMobil, including milestones in our history and our ongoing commitment to environmental performance and supporting local communities.
Careers and workforce
From joining our U.S. head office to being part of our global team, ExxonMobil is a dynamic and exciting place to work.
Become a Branded Wholesaler
Learn about building a successful business by distributing Exxon and Mobil fuel and/or owning your own Exxon or Mobil gas station(s).
Helping businesses run efficiently
From wholesale fuels and fuel-system management to high-quality marine and aviation fuel, ExxonMobil can help keep businesses running efficiently.